Shalin Zulkifli finished ninth at the Pepsi Viper Championships and 11th in the Chameleon event last month.
SHALIN Zulkifli set a benchmark for bowling when she become the first Malaysian and Asian and to qualify on merit for the Professional Bowlers' Association Women's Series in 2008.
It was the happiest moment of her life as she achieved her childhood dream in the sport.
Throughout her glittering career, Shalin, has always put the nation first and her sacrifices have been paying dividends since.
Her international adventure started at 14 when she won the national title and two years later, she picked up a gold medal at the Hiroshima Asian Games in 1994.
Shalin has never looked back since. Her brilliant display led to several titles, including gold medals in the World and Asian Championships.
Shalin is easily Malaysia's most successful bowler but her chequered career has also seen some controversies.
Her last brush with the Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress (MTBC) occurred in 2005 when she was suspended for misconduct at the World Championships.
However, after being coaxed by national coach Holloway Cheah, she returned with guns blazing a year later to help Malaysia return with three gold and three silver medals from the Doha Asian Games.
As a playing pro in the PBA Women's Series, Shalin has been doing well against more established bowlers.
She opened her professional campaign last month by finishing ninth at the Pepsi Viper Championships and 11th in the Chameleon event. Her last outing was at the CLR Carmen Salvino Scorpion Championship where she was placed sixth out of 16 bowlers.
Shalin, when narrating her experience competing in the series, said that her perception of the sport has changed since turning pro.
"As an experienced bowler, I don't really get nervous much but the Women's Series was a lot different. It taught me many things," said Shalin.
"At first, I was star struck as I got to bowl side-by-side with Pete Weber, who is a legend in the sport. He is like the Tiger Woods of bowling. However, I have got through this phase." Shalin hopes that one day more Malaysian bowlers would try out in the professional tour.
As for her status as a national bowler, Shalin has not forgotten her commitments and her impending marriage to former national bowler Azidi Ameran is not going to slow her down.
The couple will marry on Dec 28.
Shalin, who was awarded the Setia Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah (SIS), has pledged to continue bowling for as long as she can.
"My world revolves around bowling and I'm lucky that Azidi and my family understand this. I will always put my country's needs before mine. I will continue to serve the country," she added.
NST
Comments
Post a Comment