By Hilary Sebastian
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 18 (Bernama) -- The gold for national Olympian Roslinda Samsu was a breeze in the pole vault event in the 14th Asean University Games at the National Stadium in Bukit Jalil Thursday.
Roslinda, 26, cleared 4.0m en route to the gold. Filipina
Riezel Buenaventura won the silver (3.6m) and national pole vaulter Kathleen Ong the bronze (3.5m).
"I am satisfied with my performance though I did not train that hard after participating in the Olympics," the Business Management student of Universiti Putra Malaysia told Bernama.
Wong Boon Syian also shrugged off four other challengers for the gold when she cleared 1.68m. Thailand's Chalinee Kaeniam took the silver (1.66m) and Ika Puspa Dewi of Indonesia (1.61m).
Malaysia also won three silver through Mohd Hasrulnizam Yaakob (men's discus), Noor Amira Mohd. Nafiah (triple jump) Ghanthi Mathi Kumarasa (women's 1500m). Mohd Jironi Riduan supplied the sole bronze of the day in the men's 1500m.
-- BERNAMA
Saya setuju. We are working on more coaches! “ @ManOlimpik : Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’ http://t.co/7D7wmHWaNy ” — Khairy Jamaluddin (@Khairykj) June 10, 2014 The benchmark. Can our junior athletes train as hard as Malaysia's world No.1 badminton player, Lee Chong Wei? “IT IS okay lah. The training is not too bad lah. I will try lah … Wah, so hard lah today.” These are some of the common statements I hear from our juniors nowadays. It is not only in badminton. It is the easy-going, laid-back attitude and lack of competitiveness at grassroots level that we have problems producing quality players. I have travelled quite a bit. After ending my decade-long career with the national team, I went to play in the league in Europe. It’s different there. The European athletes know what they want. And they do it with real focus. Even the young ones possess admirable self-control and show a high level of commitment. During my time in the ...
Comments
Post a Comment