Skip to main content

GOLF: Ousted Tunku Majid says EGM illegal

insidepix1

THE Malaysian Golf Association (MGA) and president Tunku Majid Sultan Iskandar (right) are headed for a showdown.

MGA passed a motion of no confidence against him yesterday but a defiant Tunku Majid said yesterday's extraordinary general meeting (EGM) was unconstitutional and that he would complete his term which ends in May.

Tunku Majid's contention is that only the MGA executive committee can call for an EGM.

The EGM was called as some members were allegedly unhappy with Tunku Majid's running of MGA and the selection of golfers for assignments.

"Under the constitution, the EGM can only be called by the general committee. I have consulted former president Datuk Thomas Lee and my lawyers on the provision over this matter and they made it clear that the meeting is invalid," said Tunku Majid in a press conference in Kuala Lumpur.
The press conference was held before MGA convened the EGM.

"Thomas also said the delegates in the meeting cannot remove me as president as I'm an elected member. In order to uphold the constitution, I have no choice but to declare the EGM as Ultra Vires. I will refer to the Sports Commissioner's Office for the next course of action."

The delegates voted 129-33 in favour of the no-confidence motion while two delegates abstained. A total of 55 affiliates attended the meeting at the Bukit Jalil Golf and Country Club (BJGCC).

"I was led to believe by some parties that I was coming to make MGA more prestigious but I was wrong. I'm staying on till May and I will attend meetings and check the minutes. I need to ensure that everything is in order," Tunku Majid said.

"My term expires on May 9 and I will gladly step down. It will allow the members to elect and appoint a new committee. I will continue to serve golf if needed."

Meanwhile, at the BJGCC, EGM chairman Datuk Robin Loh, also the vice-president of MGA, said the meeting was lawful and properly constituted.

"We clearly complied with the constitution although it doesn't provide for every eventuality but it's open to interpretation," said Loh

"Tunku Majid was supposed to attend the meeting but he failed to turn up. Anyway the MGA interest is greater than the people here. Everything was properly tabled and discussed in the meeting."

The Star

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’

Saya setuju. We are working on more coaches! “ @ManOlimpik : Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’ http://t.co/7D7wmHWaNy ” — Khairy Jamaluddin (@Khairykj) June 10, 2014 The benchmark. Can our junior athletes train as hard as Malaysia's world No.1 badminton player, Lee Chong Wei? “IT IS okay lah. The training is not too bad lah. I will try lah … Wah, so hard lah today.” These are some of the common statements I hear from our juniors nowadays. It is not only in badminton. It is the easy-going, laid-back attitude and lack of competitiveness at grassroots level that we have problems producing quality players. I have travelled quite a bit. After ending my decade-long career with the national team, I went to play in the league in Europe. It’s different there. The European athletes know what they want. And they do it with real focus. Even the young ones possess admirable self-control and show a high level of commitment. During my time in the ...

Badminton: Fans rooting for all-Malaysian semis

Reports: RAJES PAUL KUALA LUMPUR: The home fans will be rooting for an all-Malaysian men’s singles semi-final between Lee Chong Wei and Liew Daren. But Chong Wei is more fancied to advance than Daren in quarter-final matches against Indonesian Simon Santoso and Dane Peter Gade-Christensen respectively at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil today. Yesterday, Chong Wei defeated Vietnamese Nguyen Tien Minh 21-9, 18-21, 21-7 in a second-round match that saw the world number one struggling to adapt to the draught in the stadium in the second game. And Daren continued a fairy tale run in his home Open, blowing away a toothless Hsueh Hsuan-yi of Taiwan 21-14, 21-12. Although Choong Wei had to slog for the win over Tien Minh, the top seed and defending champion felt that he was playing better by the day. “I got off to a good start but found it hard to cope with the draught. I tried to catch up after losing my momentum but that did not happen and I decided to conserve energy for ...

Organising Major Sports Events Can Inspire Sports Culture Among The People - Khairy

PUTRAJAYA, June 5 (Bernama) -- Organising major sports events can help inspire sports culture among the people and ensure a healthy lifestyle said Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin. Khairy said the Tour of Malaysia cycling race organised since 1963, for example, can encourage more people to take the sport in a more competitive way or just for recreation purposes. "A study carried out by a world renown medical journal, The Lancet, revealed that 61 percent of adults in Malaysia do not engage themselves in active sports. "A study by the Health Ministry revealed that only 25 percent of Malaysians exercise," he said in his speech when launching the 2013 Tour of Malaysia (Jelajah Malaysia) at the Youth and Sports Ministry, here, Wednesday. "Cycling, though not as popular here as in countries like Denmark, the activity is becoming popular among the people as can be seen through an increase in sale of bicycles for recreation," he sa...