By Farhanah Azmi
KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 17 (Bernama) -- Malaysian swimmers, Khoo Chai Lin and Daniel Bego broke the Asean University Games records for gold in the women's 100m freestyle and men's 100m freestyle Wednesday.
Chai Lin erupted the National Aquatic Centre in Bukit Jalil when she splashed he way to clock 58.16s, thus erasing the record set by Jiratida Phinyosophon (Thailand).
Jiratida came in second in 59.53s while Nancy Suryaatmadja (Indonesia) in third in 1:01.24s.
"I am satisfied with this win although it is below my personal best (58.15s)," said Chai Lin, a Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS) student who aimed to bag four gold at the meet.
Daniel Bego sent the partisan crowd into a frenzy of screams when he finished the race in 51.97s to clip Kendrick Lim Uy's (the Philippines) record (53.29s).
On the other hand, despite improving his time, Lim Uy had to settle for silver when he clocked 52.51s. Glenn Victor Sutanto (Indonesia) collected bronze with 53.18s.
Bego also bagged gold in 200m butterfly with 2:04.47s.
"Definitely, it is great to win especially with the time I clocked. It was the fastest time I ever did this year in 100m freestyle. I hope it will be a good sign for me for the upcoming events.
"I really did not expect to break the record, as this is my first appearance in this Games," said the 17-year-old matriculation student at Universiti Malaysia Sarawak.
Rachael Lim gave Malaysia the third gold in women's 100m backstroke when she finished the race in 1:16.32s.
Sandy Mo Qiyu (Singapore) who finished in 1:17.87s collected bronze and Nguyen Thi Thu Trang (Vietnam) bronze (1:18.74s).
The fourth gold came from men's 400m medley through Melvin Chua who finished in 4:38.63s.
The bronze went to Tharnawat Thanakornworakiart (Thailand) (4:46.93s) and bronze Ernest Lorenzo V. Dee (the Philippines) (4:57.65s).
Malaysia won silver through Marellyn Liew in women's 200m butterfly and bronze through Kevin Yap in men's 50m backstroke.
-- BERNAMA
Saya setuju. We are working on more coaches! “ @ManOlimpik : Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’ http://t.co/7D7wmHWaNy ” — Khairy Jamaluddin (@Khairykj) June 10, 2014 The benchmark. Can our junior athletes train as hard as Malaysia's world No.1 badminton player, Lee Chong Wei? “IT IS okay lah. The training is not too bad lah. I will try lah … Wah, so hard lah today.” These are some of the common statements I hear from our juniors nowadays. It is not only in badminton. It is the easy-going, laid-back attitude and lack of competitiveness at grassroots level that we have problems producing quality players. I have travelled quite a bit. After ending my decade-long career with the national team, I went to play in the league in Europe. It’s different there. The European athletes know what they want. And they do it with real focus. Even the young ones possess admirable self-control and show a high level of commitment. During my time in the ...
Comments
Post a Comment