Skip to main content

Welcome back, Jiwa

By S. RAMAGURU

KUALA LUMPUR: Utility player Jiwa Mohan is set to make a return to the national hockey team for the World Cup qualifying tournament in Invercargill from Nov 7-15.

Coach Tai Beng Hai said yesterday that Jiwa had informed them that he would return from Perth for the team’s final selection trials – a five-match Test series against Australia from Oct 19-25.

Full of experience: Jiwa Mohan can play in defence, midfield or attack.

“The matches against Australia will indicate his level of fitness. He can provide experience to the team. He can play in defence, midfield or attack and our options will certainly be better with him in the team,” added Beng Hai.

Jiwa quit the national team last year to concentrate on his job in Australia. But he made a return to the team earlier this year to play in the Asia Cup in Kuantan, after which he said that he was willing to feature for Malaysia in only major international tournaments.

For Beng Hai, the return of Jiwa will be a major boost to his defensive line-up. Currently, he has skipper Mohamed Madzli Ikmar, Mohamed Amin Rahim, Mohamed Shukri Mutalib and C. Baljit Singh as the regular defenders in the team.

“We have these players for the Asia Cup and also the Champions Challenge II tournament. So they have some good understanding,” he said.

“Jiwa will be an effective leader in the backline and we can also use him as a defensive midfielder.

“The Test matches against Australia will help us work on the playing formation that we want to employ in New Zealand.”

The World Cup qualifying tournament offers one place to the Finals in New Delhi next year and Malaysia will be up against New Zealand, China, Scotland, Austria and Wales.

Beng Hai said that since training resumed on Thursday, all but two players were back in camp.

Forward S. Selvaraju is still playing in the New Zealand League and he will return at the end of the month while Sallehin Ghani has yet to check in after completing a stint in Austria last week together with Chua Boon Huat.

“Training is going full steam ahead and I expect players to fight hard for places in the final team. The matches against Australia are crucial in the selection process and players must not take their place for granted,” said Beng Hai.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Chance to catch Messi and company

  FAM deputy president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and vice president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin with FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan LIONEL Messi's presence alone could sell half the tickets despite reigning world club champions FC Barcelona's date with a Malaysian XI at the National Stadium on Aug 10 falling on the third day of Hari Raya. The much anticipated visit of the four-time European champions comes with expectations from fans who want a full star-studded line-up. "The summer will be a busy period with a lot of uncertainty with players moving away and coming in. "But yes, our plans are to bring our full team here," said FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Rossich was speaking at the announcement of the friendly match, which is part of the three-match FC Barcelona Asia Tour 2013, which sees the giants also visiting China and Thailand. Also pre...