Skip to main content

Nicol looks ahead







NICOL David had warned for a while now that her apparent invincibility was not something that would last forever.

The world champion has said several times that the gap is closing between her and the rest of the Wispa Tour and her words rang true when Jenny Duncalf stunned Nicol for the second time in as many tournaments at the Qatar Classic semi-finals on Sunday.

England's Jenny, who shocked Nicol for the first time in their 20 career meetings in New York earlier this month, repeated the feat in Doha with an 11-6, 2-11, 7-11, 11-3, 11-6 win.

Jenny joins Ireland's Madeline Perry and Natalie Grainger of the United States as the only players to have beaten Nicol in the last 24 months.

Still, Nicol has won a tour-leading seven of the 11 Wispa events she played this year while compiling a 37-4 win-loss record, although the four defeats mark the first time she has lost that many matches in a season since 2005.

It was only a day earlier, after her five-game win over England's Laura Massaro in the quarter-finals, that Nicol said every player on tour is seeking her prized scalp.
Jenny Duncalf celebrates her win over Nicol David.
Jenny Duncalf celebrates her win over Nicol David.

And now Jenny, the World No 6, has become the first player to beat Nicol in successive meetings since Vanessa Atkinson of the Netherlands in early 2006.

"She came out strong, very confident, whereas I seemed to be more watching what was happening than actually playing," said Nicol, 26.

"I lacked the confidence in my shots. I tried and gave it all I had. That took a lot of energy and at the end, I just hit the wall."

Nicol played with heavy strapping on her right thigh, which could have hindered her movement and gave Jenny the confidence to push for the win.

"I saw the heavy strap on her leg and she had a pretty big match against Laura so I don't think she was at her best there. Still, she picks up more shots than everybody else on the tour," said Jenny, who was seeking her third consecutive title in the final against Australian Rachael Grinham late yesterday.

While Nicol did not finish the season as she had hoped to, she will still consider 2009 a success having regained the World Open title and will return stronger next season.

"Jenny played extremely well and I'll just have to come back next year to try and win the title again," added Nicol. NST

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Chance to catch Messi and company

  FAM deputy president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and vice president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin with FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan LIONEL Messi's presence alone could sell half the tickets despite reigning world club champions FC Barcelona's date with a Malaysian XI at the National Stadium on Aug 10 falling on the third day of Hari Raya. The much anticipated visit of the four-time European champions comes with expectations from fans who want a full star-studded line-up. "The summer will be a busy period with a lot of uncertainty with players moving away and coming in. "But yes, our plans are to bring our full team here," said FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Rossich was speaking at the announcement of the friendly match, which is part of the three-match FC Barcelona Asia Tour 2013, which sees the giants also visiting China and Thailand. Also pre...