Skip to main content

Zakry-Fairuzizuan Quit BAM

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 20 (Bernama) -- Men's doubles pair Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif/Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari, previously ranked number two in the country, have decided to walk out of the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

BAM President Datuk Seri Nadzmi Salleh when met after the association's Annual General Meeting (AGM) said the duo had submitted their application to quit BAM.

"Mohd Zakry and Mohd Fairuzizuan submitted their application to quit BAM on Aug 17, and today the BAM council decided to accept their request without any conditions or penalty," he told reporters.

Nadzmi said the decision to not penalise them was made unanimously considering their contributions in the Thomas Cup, World Championships, SEA Games and Super Series.

"Their reason for going on their own was to pave the way for younger players and the fact that they were growing older," he said.

Mohd Zakry, 29 and Mohd Fairuzizuan, 28, were playing together before doubles coach Rexy Mainaky decided to split them and paired the duo with Hoon Thien How and Ong Soon Hock respectively.

The decision means, they (Mohd Zakry and Mohd Fairuzizuan) would not be in action in the 2012 London Olympics.

Meanwhile, Nadzmi who was satisfied with Datuk Lee Chong Wei's performance at the recent World Championships, expressed disappointment over the performance of Koo Ken Keat and Tan Boon Heong, the country's number one men's doubles pair.

BAM Honorary Secretary Ng Chin Chai said the absence of Mohd Zakry and Mohd Fairuzizuan would however, not disrupt BAM's plan or preparation for major competitions, since a number of young players were available.

"We still have Chan Peng Soon, Hoon Thien How, Gan Teik Chai and Tan Bin Shen, plus a number of other potential young players," he said.

Ng added that though Mohd Zakry and Mohd Fairuzizuan would not be under BAM, they can still try and qualify for the London Olympics.

-- BERNAMA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Indonesia Choose Komodo Dragon As SEA Games Mascot

KUALA LUMPUR, April 26 (Bernama) -- Host for the 26th SEA Games, Indonesia has chosen the Komodo dragon as mascot for the 2011 Games which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang from Nov 11 to 25. The Indonesia SEA Games Organizing Committee (Inasoc), was qouted by Jakarta Post as saying that a pair of Komodo dragons, a male (Modo) and a female (Modi), were chosen in recognition of the Republic's conservation efforts to protect the dwindling number of the rare lizard. Modo and Modi were unveiled last night at a function in Jakarta, to mark the 200-day countdown before the games open on Nov 11 in Palembang. The Komodo dragons, the largest lizard in the world, only live on the Indonesian islands of Komodo in Flores, East Nusa Tenggara. On Jan 15, Inasoc unveiled its logo, a Garuda eagle, to symbolize the power and grandeur of Indonesia. Indonesia dominated the Games between 1977, when it first competed, and 1997, failing to top the medal charts only twice in that p...