Skip to main content

Golf: Vijay looking for some Malaysian magic

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak shares a light moment with Vijay Singh (left) and CIMB chief executive officer Datuk Seri Nazir Razak at the Mines Resort and Golf Club yesterday.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak shares a light moment with Vijay Singh (left) and CIMB chief executive officer Datuk Seri Nazir Razak at the Mines Resort and Golf Club yesterday.
IT has been a decade since Vijay Singh last played in Malaysia but his love for the country has changed little as he prepares to make his debut at the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic today.
The Fijian has a Malaysian wife and began his career in Malaysia, plying his trade in Sabah and Sarawak in the mid-1980s and winning the 1984 Malaysian PGA Championship.

Malaysia was the launchpad of many great victories in the following years but playing opportunities here have been limited due to his busy US PGA Tour schedule and a succession of knee and back injuries over the past two years.

The three-time major winner’s last appearance here was in 2001, when he won his second Malaysian Open title at Saujana in Subang. He was due to play at the 2008 Iskandar Johor Open only to pull out after suffering an injury.

Now that his injury woes are behind him, Vijay is hoping some of the Malaysian magic which worked wonders for him in the past will help him get back on his feet.

“It’s been a while since I’ve been back here to play. I’ve had good times here and my wife is from here. Malaysia has been a special place in my life and I’ve got family here.

“I’m comfortable with the food, understand a bit of the language and it always gives me a lot of enthusiasm to play here. I just feel comfortable here, except for the weather which is a bit hot, but you get used to that,” said Vijay, 48, after his practice round at the Mines Resort yesterday.

Currently 58th on the Official World Golf Ranking, Vijay has not won a tournament since the 2008 Deutsche Bank Championship.

“I’m looking forward to playing here. I’ve got a good feeling about it, so we’ll see what happens.”

Read more: NST

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’

Saya setuju. We are working on more coaches! “ @ManOlimpik : Malaysian junior athletes are just too ‘lembik’ http://t.co/7D7wmHWaNy ” — Khairy Jamaluddin (@Khairykj) June 10, 2014 The benchmark. Can our junior athletes train as hard as Malaysia's world No.1 badminton player, Lee Chong Wei? “IT IS okay lah. The training is not too bad lah. I will try lah … Wah, so hard lah today.” These are some of the common statements I hear from our juniors nowadays. It is not only in badminton. It is the easy-going, laid-back attitude and lack of competitiveness at grassroots level that we have problems producing quality players. I have travelled quite a bit. After ending my decade-long career with the national team, I went to play in the league in Europe. It’s different there. The European athletes know what they want. And they do it with real focus. Even the young ones possess admirable self-control and show a high level of commitment. During my time in the ...

Badminton: Fans rooting for all-Malaysian semis

Reports: RAJES PAUL KUALA LUMPUR: The home fans will be rooting for an all-Malaysian men’s singles semi-final between Lee Chong Wei and Liew Daren. But Chong Wei is more fancied to advance than Daren in quarter-final matches against Indonesian Simon Santoso and Dane Peter Gade-Christensen respectively at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil today. Yesterday, Chong Wei defeated Vietnamese Nguyen Tien Minh 21-9, 18-21, 21-7 in a second-round match that saw the world number one struggling to adapt to the draught in the stadium in the second game. And Daren continued a fairy tale run in his home Open, blowing away a toothless Hsueh Hsuan-yi of Taiwan 21-14, 21-12. Although Choong Wei had to slog for the win over Tien Minh, the top seed and defending champion felt that he was playing better by the day. “I got off to a good start but found it hard to cope with the draught. I tried to catch up after losing my momentum but that did not happen and I decided to conserve energy for ...

Organising Major Sports Events Can Inspire Sports Culture Among The People - Khairy

PUTRAJAYA, June 5 (Bernama) -- Organising major sports events can help inspire sports culture among the people and ensure a healthy lifestyle said Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin. Khairy said the Tour of Malaysia cycling race organised since 1963, for example, can encourage more people to take the sport in a more competitive way or just for recreation purposes. "A study carried out by a world renown medical journal, The Lancet, revealed that 61 percent of adults in Malaysia do not engage themselves in active sports. "A study by the Health Ministry revealed that only 25 percent of Malaysians exercise," he said in his speech when launching the 2013 Tour of Malaysia (Jelajah Malaysia) at the Youth and Sports Ministry, here, Wednesday. "Cycling, though not as popular here as in countries like Denmark, the activity is becoming popular among the people as can be seen through an increase in sale of bicycles for recreation," he sa...