Skip to main content

Squash Superstar Nicol David To Defend Aussie Open Crown


MELBOURNE, June 29 (Bernama) -- Malaysian superstar Datuk Nicol David will defend her Australian Open crown when the country's premier squash tournament is held in Canberra from August 13 to 19.

Nicol, the undisputed queen of women's squash, won her first Australian Open title when she beat England's Jenny Duncalf in the 2011 final.

By winning the title, she added her name to the famous trophy, alongside sporting greats such as Heather McKay, Vicki Cardwell, Michelle Martin and Sarah Fitz-Gerald.

Nicol will travel to Canberra with her coach, Australian Liz Irving, who was thwarted three times by Martin in her bid to win the Open during the early 1990s.

Tournament director Gary Hampson was delighted that Nicol had elected to play at Canberra's Royal Theatre again this year.

"Nicol is an absolute star of the game and we are so pleased she has decided to defend her crown. The women's field is incredibly strong this year, with eight of the top 10 coming and entries not closing until next Tuesday.

"Anyone who comes to Canberra to watch can be assured they are seeing the best players in the world," he said here.

Duncalf, the world number two, will be back this year, along with England's Laura Massaro (3), Madeline Perry of Ireland (5), Hongkong's Annie Au (6), Frenchwoman Camille Serme (8), and Australian pair Rachael Grinham (9) and Kasey Brown (10).

Nicol's entry also means there are now six former champions in the draw, with Perry (2010), Au (2008), Grinham (2005), Brown (2006) and New Zealander Joelle King (2009) all having previously lifted the Heather McKay Cup.

The men's draw features defending champion Ramy Ashour of Egypt, with England's world number six Peter Barker, the second seed. The Australian Open will be played on the all-glass court at Canberra's Royal Theatre.

"The tournament has gone from strength to strength over the past five years and Canberra should be proud to be a part of Australian sporting history," Hampson said.

By Neville D'Cruz -- BERNAMA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Chance to catch Messi and company

  FAM deputy president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and vice president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin with FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan LIONEL Messi's presence alone could sell half the tickets despite reigning world club champions FC Barcelona's date with a Malaysian XI at the National Stadium on Aug 10 falling on the third day of Hari Raya. The much anticipated visit of the four-time European champions comes with expectations from fans who want a full star-studded line-up. "The summer will be a busy period with a lot of uncertainty with players moving away and coming in. "But yes, our plans are to bring our full team here," said FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Rossich was speaking at the announcement of the friendly match, which is part of the three-match FC Barcelona Asia Tour 2013, which sees the giants also visiting China and Thailand. Also pre...