Skip to main content

BAM decide to separate Koo and Tan

KUALA LUMPUR: It looks like Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) are not going to delve immediately on the struggle faced by their top menā€™s doubles pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
Why else will they approve a plan to separate Kien Keat and Boon Heong for a week when both are racing against time to get back their footing ahead of the World Championships in August in Guangzhou?

Kien Keat has been named only for the mixed doubles event with Vivian Hoo in the Kedah Open starting today in Alor Star while Boon Heong has gone to Japan to fulfil his obligation to Yonex.
Why did BAM approve a trip for a national player abroad when they had made it compulsory for all national players to play in the local tournaments?

Last week, Kien Keat-Boon Heong came under fire in the Sudirman Cup after losing to Lee Sheng-mu-Tsai Chia-hsin in a group tie against Taiwan.

No thanks to their defeat, Malaysia went down 2-3 as their relatively weaker women shuttlers ā€“ Sonia Cheah and Woon Khe Wei-Vivian Hoo could not save the tie.

One would have expected the BAM to address these playersā€™ problems immediately so that they would be motivated and prepared for the Indonesian Open from June 10-16, which is Kien Keat-Boon Heongā€™s last tournament before the world meet.
Without one week of training together, how are these players expected to peak and win honours at the Indonesian Open?

And how are they expected to meet the final target set by the BAM at the world meet if they do not even get chances to train together and work on their weaknesses?

While the players should take the blame for their lacklustre performances, it looks like the national body is not concerned with the welfare of their players, given the ill-planning and lack of urgency in solving their woes.

Meanwhile, in the absence of Kien Keat-Boon Heong, the focus will be on two other World Championship-bound pairs ā€“ Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong and Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem at the Kedah Open.



THE STAR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Indonesia Choose Komodo Dragon As SEA Games Mascot

KUALA LUMPUR, April 26 (Bernama) -- Host for the 26th SEA Games, Indonesia has chosen the Komodo dragon as mascot for the 2011 Games which will be held in Jakarta and Palembang from Nov 11 to 25. The Indonesia SEA Games Organizing Committee (Inasoc), was qouted by Jakarta Post as saying that a pair of Komodo dragons, a male (Modo) and a female (Modi), were chosen in recognition of the Republic's conservation efforts to protect the dwindling number of the rare lizard. Modo and Modi were unveiled last night at a function in Jakarta, to mark the 200-day countdown before the games open on Nov 11 in Palembang. The Komodo dragons, the largest lizard in the world, only live on the Indonesian islands of Komodo in Flores, East Nusa Tenggara. On Jan 15, Inasoc unveiled its logo, a Garuda eagle, to symbolize the power and grandeur of Indonesia. Indonesia dominated the Games between 1977, when it first competed, and 1997, failing to top the medal charts only twice in that p...