Skip to main content

Bryan calls it quits

You will be missed: Bryan Nickson Lomas tendered his resignation to the National Sports Council a few days ago. You will be missed: Bryan Nickson Lomas tendered his resignation to the National Sports Council a few days ago.
 
PETALING JAYA: Sarawakian Bryan Nickson Lomas is leaving the national diving team after a decade of service.
Bryan, who was the countryā€™s first world junior champion in diving, tendered his resignation to the National Sports Council (NSC) a few days ago in what will be a big loss to the countryā€™s sporting scene.

The 22-year-old platform specialist, who is a three-time Olympian, went on study leave at the beginning of the year. He is now in the second year of his sports science degree course at Universiti Malaya.
ā€œIā€™ve no regret in ending my career. At this moment, I need to focus on my studies. I do not want to think of anything else,ā€ said Bryan.

ā€œI have discussed this with my parents and I think this is the best decision at this point of my life.
ā€œI donā€™t want to be like the other athletes. Some of them are still pursuing their studies late into their 20s.

ā€œThere is no way anyone can get a kick-start to their career without getting a degree.
ā€œIf I were still in the national team, I would still be in training and I would have to delay my studies each time thereā€™s a major competition. Iā€™ve been doing that for many years,ā€ said Bryan, who first burst into prominence after becoming the youngest athlete to compete in the Athens Olympics in 2004.

Bryan then went on to win a historic gold medal in springboard at the World Junior Championships in Brazil in 2004. He also competed in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics.
At SEA Games level, Bryan was always a winner ā€“ contributing gold all the time since he made his debut in Manila in 2005.

Bryan also won multiple medals at the 2006 Commonwealth Games and 2010 Asian Games.
His many firsts also include becoming the first Malaysian diver to qualify for a World Championships final when he competed in the 10m platform in Melbourne in 2007.

Bryan also made history by bagging a bronze in his 3m springboard synchro with Huang Qiang at the London World Cup last year.



By LIM TEIK HUAT- THE STAR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Chance to catch Messi and company

  FAM deputy president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and vice president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin with FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan LIONEL Messi's presence alone could sell half the tickets despite reigning world club champions FC Barcelona's date with a Malaysian XI at the National Stadium on Aug 10 falling on the third day of Hari Raya. The much anticipated visit of the four-time European champions comes with expectations from fans who want a full star-studded line-up. "The summer will be a busy period with a lot of uncertainty with players moving away and coming in. "But yes, our plans are to bring our full team here," said FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Rossich was speaking at the announcement of the friendly match, which is part of the three-match FC Barcelona Asia Tour 2013, which sees the giants also visiting China and Thailand. Also pre...