Skip to main content

Shooter Hasli disqualified for flouting rule in Munich


Big blow: Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan failed to garner any ranking points after his disqualification. Big blow: Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan failed to garner any ranking points after his disqualification.

PETALING JAYA: It was heartbreak for Hasli Izwan Amir Hasan as he was disqualified from the menā€™s 25m rapid fire pistol event at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup in Munich, Germany, on Monday.

The 2005 Manila SEA Games gold medallist, who was once ranked 35th in the world, had been looking forward to the tournament in his bid to earn points to haul himself back into the world rankings after taking a year-long sabbatical.

However in a cruel twist of fate, the 36-year-old fell foul to the ISSF Rule 8.4.4.2 Ammunition Test. The rule states each shooter must begin each stage of competition with one full box of 50 cartridges on the bench or table (five sighting shots, 30 match shots, 10 cartridges for possible ammunition testing and five cartridges for a possible malfunction re-fire series) and failure to do so will result in a disqualification.

It was a dismal outing for MalayĀ­sia as none of the shooters failed to impress.
Khalel Abdullah could only manage to finish 40th with 564 points in the 25m rapid fire pistol.
For Jonathan Wong and Nur Ayuni Farhana Abdul Halim, they failed to make it past the qualification rounds in their respective events yesterday.

Jonathan, who was placed 60th in the menā€™s 50m pistol with a score of 534 on Sunday, had to settle for 85th spot in the 10m air pistol with a score of 570.

As for Nur Ayuni, she scored 567 points to finish 45th in the womenā€™s 50m rifle three-position.
Four Malaysians will take to the Olympic Shooting Range today. Mohd Hadafi Jaffar and Mohd Nurrahimin Abdul Halim will compete in the menā€™s 50m rifle three-position while Joseline Cheah and Bibiana Ng will take part in the womenā€™s 10m pistol.



THE STAR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ex-coach's jail sentence cut to a year

PUTRAJAYA: The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced former athletics coach C. Ramanathan to 12 months' jail for molesting two junior athletes 19 years ago. A three-man bench led by Datuk Mohd Hishamudin Mohd Yunus unanimously dismissed Ramanathan's appeal against conviction, but varied the jail sentence of four years to a year, which was to run concurrently. Following yesterday's ruling, Ramanathan, 75, a former teacher, walked out a free man as he had served 10 months in Kajang Prison. Convicts get one-third remission for good behaviour while in prison. However, he will lose his pension. Hishamudin, who sat with Datuk Abdul Wahab Patail and Datuk Linton Albert, said the court found no merit to overturn the conviction. "However, in reducing the sentence, we considered Ramanathan's age and the long years the appeal has taken." Deputy public prosecutor Awang Armadajaya Awang Mahmud submitted that then High Court judge Tan Sri Abdull Hamid E...

Govt Always Gives Emphasis To Sporting Culture, Says PM

KUALA TERENGGANU, May 29 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badaw i said the government always gives emphasis on cultivating a strong sporting culture in achieving excellence at the international level. As such, the Prime Minister said, it was important to scout for young talents in sports. "I observe that the Malaysia Games (Sukma) has become one of the important platforms to do so. "In this arena, the potentials and skills of the youngsters can be identified for development so that they can achieve greater success in sports," he said in his message in the souvenir book of the 12th Sukma from May 31 until June 9. Abdullah said he was aware that competition in sports was very keen and challenging but this did not mean that Malaysian athletes were incapable of competing at the international level. "The fact is that we have all the characteristics required to be excellent. We must inculcate a strong fighting spirit so that we don't easily surrender,...

Chance to catch Messi and company

  FAM deputy president Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah and vice president Datuk Hamidin Mohd Amin with FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Pic by Osman Adnan LIONEL Messi's presence alone could sell half the tickets despite reigning world club champions FC Barcelona's date with a Malaysian XI at the National Stadium on Aug 10 falling on the third day of Hari Raya. The much anticipated visit of the four-time European champions comes with expectations from fans who want a full star-studded line-up. "The summer will be a busy period with a lot of uncertainty with players moving away and coming in. "But yes, our plans are to bring our full team here," said FC Barcelona chief executive officer Antoni Rossich yesterday. Rossich was speaking at the announcement of the friendly match, which is part of the three-match FC Barcelona Asia Tour 2013, which sees the giants also visiting China and Thailand. Also pre...